Free and Low Cost Recommendations ** denote items P.A. Michael Solar Electrical can supply and install
Replace Light Bulbs
•**Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with LED lighting or compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) and save 75% to 87% off lighting costs.
•** Install lighting controls such as timers, motion detectors, and photo eyes to reduce the total amount of energy being burned and lowering maintenance costs.
Be Smart About Lighting
•Turn off unnecessary lighting and use task or desktop lamps with LEDs, and CFLs instead of overhead lights
•** Install dimmers on incandescent, LED and compact fluorescent light bulbs. By reducing the total amount of power to a bulb while it is on can lower the operating cost by 25%, and lengthen bulb life.
•Unplug electronics, battery chargers and other equipment when not in use. Taken together, these small items can use as much power as your refrigerator.
•Installing faucet aerators and low-flow shower heads will cut water heating costs by 50% and save up to $300 per year. It will also cut water use by up to 50%. As much as 19% of California electricity is used to pump, transport and treat water.
Adjust Your Thermostat
•Setting your air conditioner 5° higher will save up to 20% on cooling costs.
• Install programmable thermostats, by automatically adjusting your heating and cooling systems without losing any comfort dramatically lowers energy costs up to 30%.
Buy Energy Efficient Appliances
• Always buy ENERGY STAR qualified appliances and equipment – they’re up to 40% more efficient. Find rebates and incentives in your area by going to: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=rebate.rebate_locator
Adjust Your Water Heater
• Turn your water heater down to 120° or the “Normal” setting when home, and to the lowest setting when away. Water heating accounts for about 13% of home energy costs.
•** Install a water heater time clock. Turning off the water heater during the times of non use can lower the water heating bill another 20%.
Keep Cool with Ceiling Fans
• Reduce air conditioning costs by using fans, keeping windows and doors shut and closing shades during the day. Most ceiling fans use less energy than a light bulb.
Power down Your Computer and gaming systems
• Enable “power management” on all computers and make sure to turn them off at night. A laptop computer uses up to 90% less energy than bigger desktop models.
Wash Clothes in Cold Water
• When possible, wash clothes in cold water. About 90% of the energy used in a clothes washer goes to water heating.
Load Up Your Dishwasher
• Run your dishwasher and clothes washer only when fully loaded. Fewer loads reduce energy and water use.
Maintain Your Clothes Dryer
• Make sure your dryer’s outside vent is clear and clean the lint filter after every load. When shopping for a new dryer look for one with a moisture sensor that automatically shuts off when clothes are dry.